Career Development and People with Disabilities: Understanding Disability First!
Covers the basic understanding of disability and the implications of the federal laws for career services practitioners.
For career development professionals in any setting, having some familiarity with disability law; what is a disability, guidelines on disability etiquette and categories of disabilities should prove helpful. Why? In the United States, the 2010 census documents that there are 54 million people in the US with a disability.
At the conclusion of this course you will be able to:
- identify categories of disabilities
- become familiar with famous people, worldwide, who are challenged because of a disability
- use disability etiquette [eg. Mary is not learning disabled; rather, Mary is a student with a learning disability.]
- understand the history of the disability law and elements thereof.
- identify the difference between disability and handicap.
- identify and use resources available to career practitioners when working with individuals with disabilities.
This course has nine major parts with each part related to the learning objectives stated above.