Veterans’ Career Development: Serving Those Who Have Served. The purpose of this course is to offer skills, knowledge and resources to career counselors, coaches, and career and academic advisers on how best to help returning military. Career services professionals need to understand and assist this special group as they enter the world of education and the civilian world-of-work. Course must be completed within 45 days.
This course is a comprehensive look at the issues related to education, employment and transition of the returning military member. It will give you an insight as to what it is like to serve in the military, the various integration difficulties they encounter, and potential contributions a military member can make to the US economy when they work in the civilian sector. For career and workforce counselors and coaches, it will help you serve your military clients and students with greater understanding and skill.
After completing this program participants will be able to:
- Recognize the characteristics of the population of returning veterans.
- Understand and remove barriers limiting veterans’ access to career development resources.
- Engage sensitively and competently with veterans.
- Evaluate current resources and strategies for effectiveness in career advising with veterans.
- Create resources and practices that enable veterans’ sustainable employment success through advising.